Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rega or VPI? Traveler vs P3-24

Recently I put my Rega P3-24 with TTPSU and Groovetracer Reference Subplatter up against a stock VPI Traveler.

 The Rega P3-24 is a fine table and is many folks first step into the audiophile vinyl playback world.  In its stock form I had issues with it's timing.  I can't quite explain it but it just didn't sound right.  I added the white belt upgrade and it helped but did not "fix" it.

I added the TTPSU as it was supposed to make a huge difference.  This box lowered the noise floor considerable and the table sounded better than ever but something still wasn't right.



I considered selling the table as I just wasn't happy with it's sound and specifically it's PRAT which is what Regas are known for.  PRAT stands for patience, rhythm and timing.  A forum post about selling it suggested that I first try the Groovetracer.  I have no idea just how out of spec my stock sub-platter was but I would never go back.  This seemed to fix everything that was wrong.  In fact, had I not already bought the TT-PSU, I doubt I would.

After several months of enjoying the Rega I started to get the upgrade bug and decided to consider laying down a sizable investment for something that was significantly better.  I was looking at a VPI Classic or a Michell Gyro with Audiomods arm.  So how did I end up with the Traveler?  Well, the internet was all abuzz with it so I started asking questions.  Those questions led me to befriending a forum member who had upgraded from a Traveler to a Classic.  He offered me an opportunity to review his traveler in my home and decide if I liked it.  Thus the head to head shootout in this post.

The Traveler arrived safe and sound and was quickly put together for use.  From the first needledrop I knew I was listening to a high end table.  The PRAT that Regas are so known for was there.  The low noise floor was there.  I will also say that these two tables are somewhat similar and yet somewhat different.  For all intensive purposes they are considered budget tables but both cost about $2k when equipped with a modest cartridge and phono stage.

The test:  Both tables were ran thru the same front end.  The Rega Fono (full size) feeding a Class D integrated amp and my DIY Fostex full range speakers.  They were also evaluated with my Schiit Lyr driving a pair of AKG 701s and AKG K550s.  I used a Creative HD USB to capture the output of both tables with the same cartridge, a Sumiko Evo III with about 150 hours on it.  I used Audacity to capture the output in 24/96.  This method allowed me to easily do back to back comparisons.  I will say that the two tables sound more alike than different.  For me though, the differences are where it matters.  This is what drives high end audio.  To a certain extent all $500 components can provide good sound but a $1500 component will reveal a small percentage more.  A $5k component will reveal an even smaller percent over the $1500 one.  When you talk about spending the same money though, the goal is to get the best sound possible.  IMHO the Traveler does just that.  It reveals an extra 5% for less cost than a slightly modified Rega.  Now I should state that the P3-24 is not the current gen of Rega.  Today they make the RP3 which is basically the same table but with bracing to make the plinth more robust and a arguably better tonearm.  This is interesting because Rega has for years prided itself on these simple lightweight (cheap) designs.  The next model up is the RP6 takes this a step farther and ultimately the RP8 has an even more radical robust plinth.  The VPI on the other hand has a solid heavy plinth made out of cheap wood and a steel plate to reinforce it.  It is then covered in a paint similar to truck bed liner that I'm sure deadens the plinth even further.  Nothing about this budget VPI feels cheap while everything about the Rega does.  Please note this is Rega's design, it's not actually a cheapened product.

In the end I happily purchased the VPI for a stellar used price from my new forum friend.  I consider myself lucky to have found the VPI Traveler.  I shouldn't be so happy with this table for it's cost.  Eventually I will treat it to a new cartridge worthy of it's arm and a better phono stage to reveal it's shortcomings but for now.  I am one happy vinyl spinner.  Now back to the digital side......

No comments:

Post a Comment